23 August 2009

The Soundtrack of My Life This Far

Heroes, David Bowie. 11"x14". Pens and Watercolor on Paper. 1998.

1966
Zorba The Greek: Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjZoBD_AzRs
I’m Only Sleeping: The Beetles


1967
Green, Green Grass Of Home: Tom Jones


1968
Hey Jude: The Beatles


1969
Oh Darling: The Beatles
Love Theme From Romeo And Juliet: Henry Mancini and His Orchestra


1970
The Prettiest Star: David Bowie
Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head: B.J. Thomas


1971
Knock Three Times: Tony Orlando and Dawn


1972
I Can See Clearly Now: Johnny Nash (Listed twice on purpose)


1973
Bad Bad Leroy Brown, Jim Croce
I Can See Clearly Now: Johnny Nash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6w


1974


1975
Love Will Keep Us Together: Captain and Tennille


1976
Sir Duke: Stevie Wonder
Don’t Go Breaking My Heart: Elton John and Kiki Dee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIQ-e_6QUt4


1977
Solsbury Hill: Peter Gabriel (hot year)
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/061024/1977s.htm


1978
Love is In the Air: Paul Young
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNC0kIzM1Fo
David Gilmor: David Gilmor*
Heart of Glass: Blondie
Sweet Talking Woman: ELO
Groove Train: Heatwave



1979
African Night Flight: David Bowie
Crazy Love: Poco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVpe-SThYR4
(Train in Vain) Stand by Me: The Clash


1980
Shining Star: The Manhattans


1981
Up the Hill Backwards: David Bowie
Watching the Wheels: John Lennon
Radio Free Europe: R.E.M.


1982
Photograph: Def Leppard
Blue Eyes: Elton John


1983
Every Day I Write The Book: Elvis Costello and the Attractions


1984
Reel Around the Fountain: The Smiths
Take On Me: a-ha


1985
Raspberry Beret: Prince
Careless Whisper: WHAM!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQtlrBziyzI


1986
The Boy With the Thorn in His Side: The Smiths
Kiss: Prince


1987
Girlfriend in Coma: The Smiths


1988
Everyday is Like Sunday: Morriessy


1989
Fight The Power: Public Enemy
Pretty Hate Machine: Nine Inch Nails*


1990
Freedom ‘90: George Michael


1991
Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses: U2
Diamonds and Pearls: Prince
Under The Bridge: Red Hot Chili Peppers


1992
Philip Glass and Foday Muso Susa: The Screens*
Creep: Radiohead


1993
Daughter: Pearl Jam


1994
Hallelujah: Jeff Buckley


1995
Kronos Quartet performs Philip Glass*
Outside: David Bowie*
Wonderwall: Oasis


1996
Ready or Not: Fugees


1997
Bittersweet Symphony: The Verve


1998
Do Wop: Lauren Hill


1999
69 Love Songs: The Magnetic Fields*
My Name Is: Eminem


2000
The Real Slim Shady: Eminem
Yellow: Cold Play


2001
California: Rufus Wainwright
Crystal: New Order


2002
Without Me: Eminem


2003
Go or Go Ahead: Rufus Wainwright
Hey Ya!: Outcast


2004
"i": The Magnetic Fields
“The Art Teacher”: Rufus Wainwright
Mr. Brightside: The Killers


2005


2006
Crazy: Gnarls Barkley


2007
Killing the Blues: Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
Snow (Hey Oh): Red Hot Chili Peppers


2008
Halo: Bloc Party
Lovers Day: TV on the Radio


2009 ?


The list was made after Twittist jminni twitted,


"Listening to old depeche mode and wondering what your favorite 80s band, song or video is... (via @terrybean) the one @charliecurve sings?" 7:01 AM May 30th from Tweetie.

The wondering got me on to a day of picking a song for every year since my birth. It was a rainy day, and by the end of it, I was exhausted, but it was completely worth it.

I complied the list by looking at http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/ and various other online sources that included hits from the U.K. Also, I sometimes chose the whole album noted with a *.

Some years I just couldn't decide on one, so I picked three or four. Other years like '74 and '05, were so mediocre I couldn't even choose one.

And then there is 1977, the Golden Year. But I love Solsbery Hill so much that I couldn't match it with any other song. And the equally Golden Other Year, 1978, where I keep finding songs to list.

The links included are for the most part, an original clip of the artist singing. Clips like Johnny Nash are so incredibly precious, he is so fantastic.

Some songs I chose purely for my personal historic reference. For example, Reel Around The Fountain, was chosen because it was the first time I heard the Smiths and I was in my first apartment. Pure love.

My main criteria was: does it make me sing, dance, cry or smile. The nostagia of many of the songs has worn off, now that I have re-played them again over and over. The sublist of this list is:

Most Likely to Make Me Sing
Oh Darling: The Beatles
California: Rufus Wainwright

Get My Groove On
Groove Line: Heatwave
Kiss: Prince

Unable to Hear this One With Dry Eyes
Killing the Blues: Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Smile
Don't Go Breaking My Heart: Elton John and Kiki Dee
Bad, Bad Leroy Brown: Jim Croce







No comments:

Post a Comment