Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures by Cathy Johnson Sat in front of a local church on a sunny Saturday, then picked some flowers to examine. I only had a pencil so I added the watercolor later. Armed with few supplies, I went to one of my favorite spots and doodled. Lines added in Photoshop before posting...timid me. Please note: I recommend this book for any artist at any stage...my reference to 12-13 year olds in this review, is remarked due to the value of journaling. It's actually a very sophisticated book on many levels. In a brief shuffle through the pages of Artist's Journal Workshop , I found myself conflicted. The book contains numerous examples of a style of art making that toggles between the hugely personal and a publishable 'look'. So, with that...the book set up on my shelf for nearly a year. Now, after an honest read, I still feel a bit conflicted...but in a way that offers some inspir...
Nice mix of fiction and knowledge....will be watching for your "walking dead" inspired piece lol :D XXX
ReplyDeletegreat list - looking forward to seeing what you think of them all
ReplyDeleteThe Artist Journal Workshop is on my list of books I think of buying. Can't wait to see your review! ♥
ReplyDeleteKate (cathy johnson) rocks so totally looking forward to seeing what you do for that book. She's got a group on FB if you want to connect with her.
ReplyDeleteI didn't think of art books for the list. Good idea!
I really enjoyed the Night Circus, especially as the cover doesn't give a lot away with regards to the story! My husband keeps bugging me to read the Walking Dead as I love the series but I've never been a big comic book person - I shall have to persist with it!
ReplyDeletelooking forward to your walking dead review and also the figure drawing one.
ReplyDeleteLove your mix of fiction and art books. Looking forward to your reviews and artwork.
ReplyDeleteJanet xx
Good idea to include some art books, looking forward to your reviews.
ReplyDeleteJen x
Great list of books and a nice mix too!
ReplyDeleteOh I like the look of Framed Ink, must look that up. And Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind looks an intriguing title. Look forward to the reviews - a great list, all new to me.
ReplyDeleteI thought about putting some art books on my list, as I have some I haven't read yet... but the fiction won out after I saw how much I need to catch up on with my favorite authors, and I ended up with fifteen books instead of twelve!
ReplyDeleteLovely list of books, enjoy the challenge.
ReplyDeleteYou will love the figure drawing book, it's beautiful, one of my favourite books I own. I got that Imaginative Realism book for Christmas and I have the Night Circus on my list too! Can,t wait to read your reviews, we seem to have very similar tastes... not least ZOMBIES!!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat book choices. The art books will be fun to see. :)
ReplyDeleteyou will love number 12, and I hope you get chance to so a real life drawing as your art inspired piece after reading that book and your review, figurative art is what floats my dreams...
ReplyDeletedx
"hope you get a chance to do a real life drawing?" Um...honestly, it would be a relief NOT to do a real life drawing..sort of bored with it (finishing a degree with AAU has almost exhausted the topic).
DeleteMaybe by the end of the year...I will have a new found passion...here is some I've done in one of my courses...http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-culwUTsYuHg/TdAkMOhJIPI/AAAAAAAAAyA/LtyW6N3xSww/s1600/figure_drawing_collage.jpg
DeleteLooks like a good list. I think the best thing about this challenge is seeing different books and hopefully finding some gems when people post their reviews!
ReplyDeleteThis is an exciting bunch of books looking forward to your reviews and art ofcourse!
ReplyDeleteFab list of books Kelly... looking forward to the review on Cathy's book as well...
ReplyDeleteJenny ♥
great varied list. looking forward to the review on the walking dead, I love the tv show!
ReplyDeletei love how you chose some art books and am anxious to hear what you think of them. happy reading!
ReplyDelete